Monday, February 23, 2009

A Good and Relaxing Week!

Well, after the first couple of weeks of learning how things work at my internship, things have started to pick up. The ongoing debate of the stimulus bill has been the big news at work and of course around the country. I decided to write and put together my first news story over the stimulus deal and I had the chance to shoot it right outside The White House. So I hope to post a video of that in my next blog. Still yet to see President Obama, though.

That's a lot of money!

Leaving The White House...cheese!

For the Washington Center, all interns had to attend the Civic Engagement fair. The purpose of the fair is to learn about various volunteering organizations and issues in society that may be of interest. I chose to volunteer for the HIV/AIDS walk awareness organization in efforts to raise the HIV/AIDS awareness in the community. I also will be volunteering for the Pro-Choice America organization, which is an organization that advocates for privacy and women’s rights to choose. There’s a variety of volunteering organizations that I’ll try to participate in for the experience.

My weekend was good and relaxing at the same time. I finally had time to slow down, and catch up with some homework assignments, get some much needed sleep and do some cleaning. Interns didn’t have to work on President's Day, so me and a couple friends took a trip to the Ford’s Theatre, which has been renovated and reopened a few days ago. It’s a historic theatre, used for staged performances and is the place that President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in. We were told that after Lincoln was shot, he was carried to a house across the street, which he later died in. We were able to get a tour of the actual site.

Inside Ford's Theatre


Inside the home in which Lincoln died


Capitol Hill

The roomies!

No comments:

Post a Comment